4/08/2008

Going Green...oh noes

I once considered the term "Going Green" to be a fad , something the "hip" crowd would do until something else came along for them to do. After learning more about the environmental crisis the world is in today I find it hard to believe that I ever thought going green would be just a fad. After researching I have come up with a few examples on how I can do my part and become green.

1. The hallways, living room and dining room in my house are all fluorescent lights but the bedrooms, bathrooms and closets are not. I will change the lights in these areas to fluorescent ASAP.

2. Currently I use too much paper. Sometimes if my printer takes in two pieces of paper by accident I merely throw away the second paper...what a waste! I will from now on only print out what I really need and try not to throw out paper that could be reused.

3. I will try to bring in my own metal spoons and forks for lunch instead of using plastics. Not only is plastic unhealthy for your body but throwing away plastic forks and spoons is a waste, much less if done daily!

4. During the weekend I usually act as a driver for my friends. This is fine considering most of my friends are 21+ and usually get drunk out of their minds...they need SOMEONE to drive them home.I will try to make a stand and tell them to take a taxi home (if drunk). I will along with them take a subway to the city and then take a subway/taxi/bus home. This will eliminate one less gas guzzling SUV on the road.

Being a 19 year old in college I cant really try to change the environment as much as say Dr. Smith, who is a 40ish adult with a wife and a steady income. Keeping this in mind I have come up with a list of what I should as I age and become more established both fnancially and relationship wise.

1. I should sometime down the road buy a hybrid car. Hopefully by that time I should be able to buy myself a BMW, Mercedes Benz or Audi hybrid (yes, Deutsch only plz).

2. I should buy a "green" home sometime down the road. My home should have solar power and built with environmentally safe materials.

3. And last, I should teach my children at a early age the value of going green.

No comments: